Sunday, April 4, 2010

Butter

Could anything be easier?

1 pint organic whipping cream
+
1 tsp salt or 1 T honey



Allow whipping cream to come to room temperature (EDIT: Otherwise it will take forever. Trust me on this). Pour into Kitchen-Aid mixer with whisk attachment.
Cover bowl with a tea towel. Turn on to high and whip for 3-5 minutes. The butter and buttermilk should now be
separated, with the butter pretty much all in one clump.


Put a strainer over a bowl or jar and strain the butter milk from the butter. Save, covered, in the fridge for drinking or baking (I'll be sharing my favorite butter milk biscuit recipe soon!). Return all butter to the mixer bowl and add a few inches of very cold water.




Cover with tea towel again and mix on high for a minute. The water should be cloudy. Discard water. This process is to remove excess buttermilk from the butter so that it will keep longer. Repeat this process 3-4 times until the water is clear.

After draining off the water, there is still going to be some water that needs to be removed. Either press butter with the back of a spoon to force water out, lightly press with a spatula in a sieve or squeeze butter in a tea towel (gently). Ta da! Butter!


For salted butter, return butter to mixer bowl, add 1 teaspoon of salt and whisk on high. Ta da! Salted butter! OR squeeze in about a tablespoon of honey and beat in. Ta da! Honey butter!






The butter can be wrapped in waxed paper in the fridge or kept in a butter crock (my preferred method). Enjoy on all manner of foods!


BENEFIT OF MAKING YOUR OWN BUTTER: A pint of organic whipping cream is less than $3.50 and produces 1/2 pound of butter + 3/4 cup of buttermilk. Buying organic butter from the store is $7-8. So it's not a huge savings but you do get about 1.5 cups of free buttermilk. Plus you can be assured that the only ingredients are cream and salt. And it is very tasty.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think I will give this a try today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And your butter crock is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how you do this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, I didn't know how to do butter w/o a churn. Hooray! Thanks Cara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I whipped the honey butter version up this afternoon and served it on whole wheat toast to my kids for an after school snack. They loooved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! i will have to try that, it looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to whip up some butter for years now; thanks for the reminder! And I look forward to following your space here -- stumbled over it, thanks to Sheena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a butter crock today because of this post. I still haven't made my own butter yet though. I don't use it much and so I've been working on a batch I bought awhile ago for forever.

    ReplyDelete