Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pizza



Homemade pizza is probably our favorite food to make and eat. This is how we do it:

The Crust

We used to always use Trader Joe's pre-made pizza crust. It is tasty, contains very few ingredients and always turns out perfectly. Then, during my all-from-scratch-challenge in April, we tried out the Pioneer Woman's pizza crust recipe. It is so fast and easy and also has only 4 ingredients (not counting water). It has become my new standby.

The Sauce

Likewise, we also used to use the Trader Joe's pizza sauce. However, now I make up a batch of Jamie Oliver's tomato sauce which is the perfect amount for two pizzas PLUS pasta later in the week. The only changes I make from Jamie's recipe are not straining it (I like it more rustic and chunky) and I add a couple teaspoons of balsamic vinegar while it's simmering away. Amazing!

The Toppings

Some of our favorite combinations are:

Margarita - fresh mozzarella, basil, tomato (thinly sliced), garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil
Greek - mozzarella, feta, red onion, basil, kalamata olives (halved), oregano
Veggie - mushrooms, bell peppers, red onion, spinach
Pepperoni - Gourmet pepperoni from TJ, red pepper flakes, oregano
Sausage - spicy Italian sausage (removed from casing and cooked), green bell pepper, fresh tomato

The Technique

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees, with pizza stone (a MUST) on very bottom shelf setting. Sprinkle flat cookie sheet or pizza peel with corn meal. Shape dough on lightly floured surface then transfer to cookie sheet. Throw the toppings on.

When oven has come to temperature, gently slide assembled pizza from sheet onto hot pizza stone (I leave the stone in the oven and just pull the shelf out). Bake for 8-11 minutes, until crust is golden and all cheese is melted.

Slide pizza from pan to cutting board and let cool for 5-10 minutes (this will help keep your toppings on the pizza when you cut).


Homemade pizza is SO much better than take-out. There is really no comparison. It's cheaper, fresher, better for you, tastier and fun to make! I would rather do the work to make it myself than buy it out any day. I think I'll make it tonight. :)

7 comments:

  1. Yum! We make a lot of pizza too. Try adding caramelized onions. It's my fav. I'm working on a gluten free pizza crust. It's a bit tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love homemade pizza. We do it about once a week. Another great combo is fajita: seasoned chicken, bell peppers and onions. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making tons of pizza now that I've always got bread dough in the fridge (the basic boule recipe from that Artisan breads book makes great pizza crust!). My current favorite is apple, ham (the rosemary ham from TJ's is really nice), gorgonzola and caramelized onions. No sauce at all, just a drizzle of olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make homemade pizza all the time...but C doesn't like pizza so I stopped after she got sick of it...I think I will have to start up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pizza was delicious! I'll vouch for it. Now I've used the Pioneer Woman pizza dough too and really like it - it's so easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds so good! my favorite combination is pesto sauce, mozzarella and tomatoes. SO good! i'll have to throw that back in our rotation next week. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish Cara!
    I keep hearing about the Pioneer Woman dough recipe...We'll have to try it!

    Have you tried cooking your pizza on the BBQ? It's great because it mimic's the wood-fire taste you get at the pizzerias (I've been meaning to blog about it)

    ReplyDelete