Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Omnivore's Dilemna



Of all the food industry related books I've read over the past few months, I think this may be my favorite -- The Omnivore's Dilemma. It may have somewhat to do with my crush on Michael Pollan, but it really is an awesome book.

Pollan follows 4 different kinds of meals from the earth to the table -- industrial, big business organic, local organic and finally foraged. It is truly fascinating to see where our food is coming from and what impacts what food we eat has on the environment and our communities.

My favorite part of the book was when Pollan visits Joel Salatin's farm--Polyface Farms-- for a week. Salatin is one of the farmers that makes an appearance in the documentary Food, Inc, which is where I first heard of him. He is so passionate and quirky and just cracks me up. I mean, take a look at him. The perfect farmer!



If you only read one book on the topic, please read this one. My second favorite would be Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (my review HERE).

1 comment:

  1. I've not heard of real food. I'll look for it. I also loved Omnivore's Dilemma. The organic farmer near me is composting her manure with worms to feed to the chickens. Thought it was very Salatinesque.

    ReplyDelete