Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Rules

I am challenging myself to eat only food prepared from scratch ingredients for the month of April 2010. But of course I chose a month in which I will not only be staying at a friends' house for several days, but also will have house guests myself for 2 weeks. Luckily for me, the friends with whom I will be staying are on the really same page as me when it comes to food, and I can basically move in there with whatever food I want to bring along. Also luckily, my house guests will be my 19-year-old brother who will be subject to whatever I make him do and my mother, who is also on the same page as me when it comes to my "real food".


Things I Can Buy

flour (whole wheat and bread)
rice (brown and basmati)
beans (kidney, cannellini, black)
sugar (brown and white)
pasta (because I'm too chicken to attempt this yet. Plus, we eat very little pasta.)
yeast
salt
olive oil
vinegars
milk and cream (organic)
eggs (from our CSA, laid by free-range, organic hens)
fruits and vegetables (organic, from our CSA and local farmers markets)
honey (local)
meat and chicken (from a local farm or Whole Foods)
chocolate (highest quality, fewest ingredients)
dried spices and herbs

Plus (kind of cheats):

*jarred curry paste (cause I don't want to make it and I don't use it that often -- probably once per month)
*vegetable stock (only if I'm unable to make enough myself)
*canned tomatoes (I plan to can my own when tomato season hits in a few months)
*salsa (only because some of the ingredients are not yet in season. I will be buying salsa only that contains ingredients I'd use in making my own at home)
*Haagen Daaz ice cream (flavors that only contain milk, cream sugar, vanilla, egg yolk, fruit or chocolate)
*a cupcake from our favorite cupcakery in Long Beach when we drive down to the airport


Another event happening in April that I just remembered is my brother-in-law's wedding 3 days into the month. Dinner is being held at a Greek restaurant after the ceremony. I will stick as closely as I can to eating the freshest, whole foods offered. And I'll report back on how it goes. :)

In the past week or so I've nearly been sticking to only making everything from scratch as it is. Some of the things I've made are yogurt, butter, whole wheat bread, biscuits (using buttermilk from making butter), as well as the majority of our meals. It's definitely been more work and time consuming. I feel lucky that I have the time available to dedicate to my venture. Some of my other hobbies are going to have to be put aside for the month, but I'm super excited to be able to solely concentrate on health, fitness and making real, whole foods for my family.

Wish me luck!!


EDIT: Oopsie, I forgot that I'm going to a friend's wedding in April, too! Yikes! But I'll make it work. :)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks goodness chocolate and the Long Beach cupcake store are "legal"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! And I totally love that a cupcake is on your cheat sheet. So great. And pasta is nothing, you can totally do it. I mean, come on, you're making butter. You're wonder woman! (PS...how are you making your butter? I want details lady...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask about the pasta, that would be the only thing I'd struggle with. It's Ember's favorite food and it scares me as well. I'm so proud of you I am stuck in a convenience food rut. Not super bad stuff but not the best I was so good until I got super prego and I haven't gotten back but this is motivating me. Unfortunately our farmer's market doesn't start for another 2 months! I was going to ask you if you make William all the same foods?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've started making gnocchi, which is really easy for the pasta category.. is it considered a pasta? i thought it was but now i'm questioning myself..LOL! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh, we've made homemade pasta many times, it's really easy - you'd be so surprised!

    I am planning on canning tomatoes/tomato sauce this year also...My Sicilian grandmother did it all the time (along with "wringing" her own chickens necks, making her own wine, cheese making...the list goes on)

    This is fun!
    Oh, and I'm excited to see those homemade tortilla's...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom: Yes, I'd go crazy with no chocolate for a whole month. And I've been looking forward to that cupcake for a long time!

    Morgan: I *MAY* attempt pasta. I certainly will at some point. I will be doing a post about my butter making process once I get some photos of it all. It's so easy!

    Angie: That's one of my favorite things about living in CA -- year-round farmers markets! Yes, William eats the same thing we have. He's good about at least trying some of everything. Salad is the only thing that he won't take at least a bite of. I serve him a couple bites of everything just to expose him to it and get him to taste each thing before he can leave the table. He's gotten a lot less picky!

    Kaja: I've always thought gnocchi was a pasta? I've actually never even tried gnocchi before. John had a bad gnocchi experience in the Netherlands and since then, we've never tried it again. Maybe if I make my own it'll be better! Please share your recipe!

    Mel: I want to be your Grandma! Amazing! (Well, I don't know that I could wring a chicken's neck, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for this!!!

    although a little bummed we can't hit mcdonalds when we are playing at kelly's. barf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this reminds me of Julie and Julia--and just for your interest there was an article in our work newsletter from a person with chronic kidney disorder (inherited not caused from high BP or diabetes) she has to eat only foods she makes from scratch as she has to be very diligent in avoiding preservatives such as phosphates and phosphorus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are pumping me up!! :D

    Sheena, I know right? How sad. Ha!

    Polly, I hope I'm not as annoying as Julie, however. Hehe. I feel bad for that lady -- it'd be harder I think if you HAD to do something, rather than making the decision yourself. Plus, not being able to cheat now and then.

    ReplyDelete