Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fast Food Nation & Food, Inc.

As I said, my interest-turned-passion/obsession for real, local, organic, natural, unprocessed food has been something that's been building for the past several years. What has really made me want to take the leap into this challenge though has been all of the research I have been doing lately on the food industry, the history of food, and the effects that the commercialization and separation from our food is having on this country. Just after a bit of reading, it all makes so much sense and it is so obvious where we've gone wrong. There are several books that I recommend if you're at all interested in these topics. And even if you aren't. :)


It seems like this book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and the film Food, Inc. are all over the place right now. I don't know if that's just cause I'm in that scene or if they are really getting a lot of attention right now. I hope it's the later because I really think everyone should at least see Food, Inc. The movie is a good overview about where our food comes from, how it's produced, what is in it and what the costs to society and the environment are. The book goes more in-depth into all of these subjects, along with the history of the fast food industry. It is fascinating! There is also a book called Chew On This by Eric Schlosser which is the young adult version of Fast Food Nation.





Please watch the Food, Inc trailer HERE and go HERE to watch a great interview with the director (who seems like such a great guy, he makes me happy!) and go HERE to sign a petition supporting healthy food in public schools!

P.S. I promise this blog won't be all me pushing stuff. :) Food photos and recipes coming up!

3 comments:

  1. Love the header! You're way ahead of me on getting your blog up to date. Sigh...

    I'm pretty sure you've read 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle', but if not you must. And check out 'Real Food' by Nina Planck. It's so wonderful and was really the thing that made me want to do a 180. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm running to Hasting's right now to see if Food, Inc has been returned yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, yes, I have read A,V,M and it's my FAV!I'm actually planning on re-reading it again soon.

    I will have to put Real Food on my to-read list, too! I keep hearing about it. Thanks!

    Beth, woot!

    ReplyDelete