Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jamie Oliver & Jamie's Food Revolution

I'm sure you've all heard about this show by now, Jamie's Food Revolution (Fridays at 9pm on ABC). I have been a big fan of Jamie Oliver for several years now -- I used to watch his various shows on the Food Network all the time. Then for Christmas, my husband gave me Jamie's beautiful cookbook Jamie at Home and I absolutely love it. The food is so rustic and earthy and beautiful and whole, not to mention delicious! So when I heard about Jamie's Food Revolution a few months ago, I was very excited!

The show is basically about changing the way Americans eat, starting with public school lunch programs (which are horrible -- I remember from my own school days!)and the way families eat at home. Of course the show is a bit "reality show"-y (it is on ABC after all, and produced by Ryan Seacrest) but I am just thrilled that a show like this is on network television. It is something that people need to see! If you've missed the first two episodes, you can watch them online HERE and make sure you catch the next episode on Friday. Also, take 10 seconds to sign the petition supporting Jamie's effort to change the food that is being fed to American kids at school.



AND, not only is there a tv show, there is a cookbook called Jamie's Food Revolution. It is incredible!! I have read it cover to cover probably about 5 times now since I got it a week ago. The photography is beautiful, the recipes are exactly the kind of food I love, and Jamie's personality makes reading about boiling rice super entertaining (to me, anyway!) I can't really express how much I love this book. I carry it around the house with me (even to bed!) cause I want it near me. Unbalanced? Probably. But I just LOVE it!

The book is so perfect for people who have not cooked before or who only know a few basics but is still great for people who cook regularly. The first section has lists and photos of the equipment and pantry items needed to have a well-stocked kitchen that will enable you to make healthy, fresh food easily and quickly. I actually already have bought several copies as gifts and I wish I could buy a copy for everyone! Teehee.

In the past week I've made a few recipes from JFR: Chicken Tikka Masala (holy CRAP I can not tell you how amazing it was!), A Cracking Burger, Lemon Dressing, and Shrimp and Avocado with An Old-School Marie Rose Sauce is on the menu for tonight. I also made Light and Fluffy rice to go along with the Chicken Tikka that turned out so perfectly. Seriously, that meal tasted exactly like we were at our favorite Indian restaurant. It was brilliant! So, basically, I'm in love.

Get yourself to Amazon or the bookstore and get the cookbook asap! I can not wait to make and eat every single recipe. And then, make sure to start watching the show this Friday at 9pm on ABC!

3 comments:

  1. I saw that book the other night at B&N and wanted it so bad!

    OK, I am so glad that you remember school lunches being like what they picture on that show, because it seems like most of my friends (even my husband) are slightly older than me and remember food being of higher quality. Like I missed the good food by just a couple years and got jacked with the crap food all through school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET IT!! Every recipe I have made has been amazing. Some of the best food I've ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do the same thing with that book. that one and Animal Vegetable Miracle. It might be getting out of hand but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete