Friday, March 4, 2011

Tortilla Soup

This is one of our new favorites. I just made it up one night and it never ends up the same way since I've never even written it down until right now. But it's always good.



olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen corn
1 leek or some cabbage, chopped (optional, but I love cabbage in soup so I put it in whenever I can)
2 cans (or 3-4 cups) pinto beans
1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
salt
pepper
some cumin
some paprika
some garlic powder
some chili powder
1 quart vegetable stock

Saute the onion and carrot in a tablespoon or so of olive oil until they begin to soften. Then add the rest of the above ingredients. Let simmer for an 30-60 minutes until all vegetables are tender. Adjust seasonings as needed.

Serve with:
sour cream
tomato
avocado
crushed tortilla chips
more cilantro

Now, unfortunately, my photo up there is sadly lacking in a couple ingredients that make it most delicious: sour cream (I'm working on making my own. Yep, you heard me), avocado (Mine aren't ripe. Sad face) and I just forgot to add the chips before I took the photo and I'm too lazy to take another. But, it's still good.

If you wanted to add chicken you easily could. Maybe slow cook in a crock pot for a couple hours with the stock and then shred it up? I've never done it but it sounds viable and I'm sure you'll figure something out. :)

4 comments:

  1. It looks like there are some tomatoes on there too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Lisa's little sister and I think maybe we've met before, I wanna say Harry potter party?? Anyway, can I just say thank you a million times over for having this blog?! Lisa put up a link about your vegetable broth and I am so pumped because we are living in Korea this year and it's either super hard or super expensive to get some really simple things from back home like vegetable broth. You have just made our year a whole lot easier and I can't wait to hear how your sour cream comes out as they do not sell it here at all :) cheers to you and your good food! Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Paula! I'm so happy that this was so helpful for you! (And, yes, we did meet at the HP party :)

    I will for sure post about the sour cream when I finally get around to making it. I'm nervous. Ha!

    Good luck in Korea!!

    ReplyDelete