Monday, February 14, 2011

Quinoa With Roasted Veg



Now this is an especially bad photo, but it's of something incredibly delicious, so I'm going to pretend that makes up for it.

I had tons of root vegetables on hand one night and had to come up with something to do with them. And so I made this. And it was so tasty. It's a very loose recipe, you can do almost anything, but this is what I did:

Quinoa, cooked in salted water (follow package's directions)

Carrots
Turnips
Parsnips
Butternut squash
Red onion
Garlic
(You could also do potatoes or rutabaga. Basically anything you want to roast, I would think.)

Chop the veg into uniform pieces so they cook evenly. Toss to coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary or thyme or whatever your favorite herbs are. Roast for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Add a sprinkle of good parmesan and a tad bit of lemon juice to the quinoa and serve with the veggies. It is SO GOOD. And quinoa is a good source of protein, so bonus! You should probably serve this with a green salad with maybe a little cheese (feta would go great I think), but I was lazy that night and we just had this one dish. It's a favorite.

And a Happy Valentine's Day, if you celebrate that kind of thing. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think I am going to make this Thursady night and I am going to add some lentils in for even extra protein. Another way to add flavor to the dish would be to cook the quinoa with a bouquet (I think that's what it's called). You can take your favorite fresh herbs (I usually use a whole stalk of something, no chopping or removing the leaves necessary) that you are using to season the roasted veg and put them in a little cheesecloth bundle tied up with butcher string and place that in your boiling water with the quinoa as it cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Lisa! Never thought about adding a bouquet but I'm definitely going to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete